War
Details
Event title
Iran - Six missing after US strike on Iranian vessels near Oman
Source
Main event
Event date (UTC)
2026-05-09 11:34:57
Last update (UTC)
2026-05-18 11:25:04
Severity
High
Area range
State / region wide event
Address/Affected area(s)
Iran
Six people were reported missing and six others injured after a reported U.S. strike on an Iranian vessel near the southern Iranian port of Bandar Lengeh, according to Iranian local officials cited by Al Jazeera.
The incident comes as Washington and Tehran appear to be edging toward a possible temporary agreement aimed at easing tensions after weeks of military escalation in the Gulf region.
AFP reported that U.S. President Donald Trump and the State Department expect Iran to deliver its official response to the latest U.S. peace proposal later on Friday.
Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged European allies to take stronger measures against Iran over disruptions involving the Strait of Hormuz, warning that maritime security remains under threat.
U.S. Central Command said four Iranian vessels have so far been targeted and disabled during the confrontation. The command also said at least 57 cargo ships carrying goods from Iranian ports had either returned or altered their routes since the start of the naval blockade.
The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most critical oil shipping routes, with regional tensions repeatedly raising concerns about global energy supplies and maritime security.
China has recently called for restraint and a lasting ceasefire in the region, while urging all parties, including Iran and the United States, to resolve disputes through diplomatic channels rather than military escalation.