Earthquake
Details
Event title
Venezuela - Venezuela twin earthquakes death toll rises to 6,301
Source
Main event
Event date (UTC)
2026-08-11 06:14:04
Last update (UTC)
2026-08-11 06:14:04
Severity
High
Area range
Country wide event
Address/Affected area(s)
Caracas, Municipio Libertador, Distrito Capital
The number of dead from Venezuela’s twin quakes in June rose to 6,301 on Monday, as rescue teams and family members continued to sift through the rubble in search of more victims.National Assembly chief Jorge Rodriguez announced the revised death toll as part of the latest government report on the disaster.
The previous toll, from August 3, stood at 6,125.The central government has not said how many are still missing after the 7.2- and 7.5-magnitude tremors that destroyed around 190 buildings.But Jose Alejandro Teran, the governor of the worst-hit state of La Guaira, north of Caracas, said last week that around 1,400 people remained missing.Some 24,000 people were made homeless and many of them are living in makeshift camps.On Monday, a 7.4-magnitude tremor shook neighboring Colombia, forcing many Venezuelans to relive difficult memories of their own troubles.